Johannes Ringk (1717 – 1778) was a German composer and organist. He was born in Frankenhain and studied organ with Johann Peter Kellner in Gräfenroda and Gottfried Heinrich Stölzel in Gotha. From 1740 he was a music teacher in Berlin, and in 1754 he was appointed organist of the Marienkirche, where he remained until his death. Contemporaries held a high opinion of his organ playing and ability at fugal extemporisation.
He is most remembered today for the numerous copies he made, often the only now remaining, of works by more notable composers. Amongst these copies in his hand are Johann Sebastian Bach’s cantata Weichet nur, betrübte Schatten, BWV 202 and the oldest copy of the famous Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565.
This Preludium und Fuga is a work of Ringk himself. The manuscript can be found in the collection of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin. The recording is of the prelude only.
The recording was done with the sampleset, made by Organ Art Media, of the Arp Schnitger organ in Steinkirchen.
Prelude en Fuga